The Progressive Web App (PWA) is a concept that most Magento users are familiar with. However, not everyone is aware of what it is or how it might benefit their business or customers. It is for this reason that we have published this post. Read on to know about the benefits of a PWA and how to convert Magento website to PWA.
I. What Does PWA Stand For? | PWA Meanings
To begin with, we will discuss the meaning of PWA. PWA stands for Progressive Web Application. In this context, a “web application” simply refers to an app that runs as a website, such as Twitter. The word “progressive” means that the user experience is enhanced gradually based on the browser’s capabilities. Essentially, this indicates that the web application works well in earlier browsers, but that if the user is using a browser that supports newer technologies, the user can get a better experience.
So, is it a technology? Is it a set of rules? Is it something Google owns or has patented? The answer is none of the above. It’s just a phrase for a specific approach to designing and developing applications.
II. What is the difference between a PWA and a native app?
There are 3 disparities between a native app and a PWA:
- A native app is basically a rise in demand for a single operating framework (iOS or Android), whereas a Progressive Web App is organized as a website that works across multiple platforms.
- PWA does not need the same download as native apps. As a result, Magento PWA is as accessible as an app. You only need to add its symbol to your home screen. Magento 2 PWA can also perform updates in the blink of an eye, making it super-fast.
- PWA for Magento is easier to manage for Magento stores than any other native app. PWAs are lightning-fast and don’t eat up your device’s RAM like native apps do.
Now, consider PWA in terms of the initial nine characteristics:
- Responsive: Page looks good on different screen sizes (e.g. phone, tablet, desktop)
- Connectivity independent: Function without an Internet connection
- App-like-interactions: Look’n’feel of native application
- Fresh: Always up-to-date
- Safe: Utilise a secure connection to mitigate multiple types of security threats
- Discoverable: Browsers identify PWAs automatically
- Re-engageable: Can bring users back to the app using, for example, Push Notifications
- Installable: Can be stored on the home screen just like native apps but without the extra hassle of the App Store
- Linkable: Can be shared around as plain URLs
For the reader of this blog post the most important functionalities are:
- Installability to the home screen
- Access to multiple native APIs such as camera, geolocation, vibration, payments, etc.
- Support for Push Notifications
- Offline usage
- Fullscreen and splash screen support
III. Why should you convert Magento website to PWA? – PWA Benefits
Progressive web apps (PWAs) are becoming increasingly popular among Magento eCommerce stores. This is especially true now that Magento 2 PWA Studio has been released. There are some main reasons behind this.
3.1. Improved user experience on smartphones
PWA’s excellent user experience expands eCommerce’s possibilities greatly. Thanks to service worker synchronization, you can engage audiences across the board, including some who are offline. An app’s user involvement can be a fascinating wonder for any Magento store, resulting in increased conversion rates. Isn’t that so?
3.2. Lower price, quicker deployment, and easy to update
You won’t have to waste time and money on two distinct apps if you use PWA (one for iOS, the other for Android). Simply convert website to a web application to avoid the merciless efforts required for app creation and upkeep. What more could you ask for in a small percentage of the money you were expected to spend on mobile app development than a PWA Magento 2 theme that takes no time, costs less, and speeds up development and procurement?
IV. When should you convert Magento website to PWA?
Before you invest, you must determine whether the step is worthwhile. If you answered YES to any of the following questions, now is the time to make your decision.
- Do you want your website to load faster?
- Want your Magento website to be accessible offline?
- Is customer acquisition cost bothering you?
- Are you looking to improve conversions?
V. How long does it take you to convert Magento website to PWA?
The most honest answer is that it entirely depends on the scope of the project and the complexity of the future eCommerce website.
As a starting point, we can choose 8 to 10 months as a rough estimate. It’s important to note that these deadlines only apply if we assume the following:
- The Magento PWA is built on the basis of an already fully-developed Magento 2 website with all the databases present and systemized.
- The PWA will have a custom design, so the vital UX/UI stage will also be present during the PWA creation process.
- The PWA will have standard functionality and a standard set of pages.
VI. Convert Magento website to PWA – Easy Steps
6.1. Using Magento PWA Extension
This is an add-on for your existing Magento 2 online store. There are numerous options for installing Magento 2 PWA extensions. There are various options accessible, both free and paid, depending on your needs.
Magento 2 PWA modules are inexpensive (ranging from $0.00 to $150). Similarly, implementing those enhancements on your website can only take a few hours.
The majority of Magento 2 PWA addons don’t deliver everything Progressive Web Apps promised. Certain characteristics, such as faster page load speed or operability in bad internet connection scenarios or in offline mode, will undoubtedly exist. They can, however, ignore other useful functions like push notifications, adding to the home screen, pop-up notifications, and so on.
6.2. Using Magento 2 PWA Theme
Another approach for converting your website to a PWA is to use the Magento 2 PWA theme. Using Magento 2.3 PWA Studio, ReactJS, and GraphQL, a PWA theme may be constructed. It is made up of two parts: an expanded PWA storefront and an API that links the storefront to the Magento backend.
The cost of adopting the Magento 2 PWA theme is mostly influenced by the extent to which you customize it. This option is frequently less expensive than PWA Studio, but more costly than an extension.
The PWA storefront will still need to be customized to fit your design. You’ll also need to check for compatibility with the new storefront and update the API if your site employs custom functions or incorporates other extensions.
6.3. Using Magento PWA Studio
Magento has created a new platform for Magento developers to work on PWAs. Their Magento 2 PWA Studio is a collection of tools designed to assist developers in creating their own PWA storefronts. You’ll have complete control over the development and functionalities this way. Installing Magento 2 PWA Studio is a more involved procedure that focuses on developing techniques.
Magento 2 PWA Studio can only offer a collection of tools for improving PWAs. However, the quality of your solution is determined by the development team selected for the job. However, to be honest, not all developers are as capable as they claim. So, if you have bad luck and get the wrong person for the position, you will be doomed for a long time.
Boost your business with a more dependable and easier experience. Now is the time to check out one of Landofcoder’s Multivendor Marketplace PWA Studio solution demo. Our solutions will guide you through the process and have your hold position up and running in no time.
VII. A Brief Overview of the PWA’s Other Page Types: What to Keep in Mind
Apart from the homepage, most applications include additional page kinds. We won’t go into great depth on how to design them step by step for a PWA, but we will share our knowledge of which “sharp points” to keep in mind during backend and frontend development of other types of pages.
It is important to pay attention to the productivity of product and category pages from the beginning of their creation.
The frontend and backend page architecture should be carefully considered; else, the repercussions will be tough to correct. For example, depending on the type of product and its specifications, the page may appear differently from one product to the next, and such considerations must be made right away.
Overall, due to the unique nature of each website, careful preparation should come before execution. You may avoid a lot of unneeded adjustments and time loss this way.
VIII. Final words
To conclude, you may use the Magento PWA solution to make your Magento store more interactive, engaging, and conversion-friendly. With a decade of experience in Magento web development, we at Landofcoder developed the PWA solution for Magento stores. To convert your website to a web application and take your eCommerce to the next level, contact us immediately.
Hope it helps! If you have any questions or concerns about our articles, please leave your comment below. Thank you!